Extended deadline (July 18)
CALL FOR PAPERS
Workshop “Young people, social change and generational rupture”
Barcelona, 14th and 15th of December 2016
Catalan Youth Observatory
Postindustrial societies have undergone deep transformations that have had a great impact on young people. There is increasing evidence that these changes are not only affecting youth as a period of life but that they affect the whole of the life cycle. Internal inequalities among young people happen at the same time that intergenerational inequalities may be strengthening. Precariousness, uncertainty and vulnerability are not only extending with the lengthening of youth transitions but becoming generational traits. In certain contexts, the economic crisis has reinforced and made these phenomena more visible. Austerity policies and imbalance on the public expenditure between generations could also be affecting this growing generational gap.
Generational change draws new scenarios and expectations for young people and for the future of society as a whole. From different perspectives social research has gathered some evidence on dimensions and expressions of this generational rupture: labor conditions, education and information resources, access to housing, welfare state and social protection, new family structures, social innovation, values change and citizenship, etc.
This Workshop has the aim to bring together sectorial contributions on generational rupture and to promote a global reflection about the future of society from a generational scope. We encourage scholars to present papers on the different dimensions of generational change.
The main conference will be delivered by the journalist and writer Owen Jones, author, among other works, of Chavs: The Demonization of the Working Class, who will present a new text about the Workshop’s subject.
Deadline for abstract submission: 4th of July 2016.
Catalan Youth Observatory (Catalan Youth Agency).
Phone: +34 93 483 83 24
Abstracts, papers and publication
- Abstracts and papers can be written in English, Spanish or Catalan.
- Abstracts should not exceed 300 words.
- A paper with the full contribution has to be presented before the Workshop.
- A selection of papers will be published in the Studies collection of the General Direction for Youth.
Registration fee: 25 €. It includes breakfasts and lunch.
- Anna Cabré (President) (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona)
- Mònica Clua (University of Texas- Rio Grande Valley)
- Mariona Ferrer-Fons (Universitat Pompeu Fabra)
- Pau Marí-Klose (Universidad de Zaragoza)
- Xavier Martínez-Celorrio (Universitat de Barcelona)
- Sara Moreno (Universitat Autònoma de Barcelona)
- Carlos Obeso (ESADE)
Barcelona, 14th and 15th of December 2016.
- 18h of July: final deadline for the submissions of abstracts.
- 29th of July: acceptance of abstract proposals.
- 15th of September – 15th of October: registration.
- 14th of November: deadline for the submission of papers.
- 28th of November: publication of the final Workshop program.
- 14th and 15th of December: Workshop.
Observatori Català de la Joventut // Agència Catalana de la Joventut
C/ Calàbria, 147. 08015 – Barcelona
93 483 83 04